The show was originally called Psycon and Cybertron in pre-production, but was later changed to VR Troopers.
The Cybertron pilot starred Jason David Frank as Adam Steele and drew its source footage from Metalder. Frank's character was depicted as a solo hero going up against an army of sentient robots known as War Drones who were led by the evil Grimlord. Grimlord's alternate identity in the pilot was known as Cyrus Riktor (Gardner Baldwin) who also had a son named Percy Riktor, Adam's martial arts rival. Tao Chong (Richard Rabago) was also present and served as Adam's caretaker and sensei and Cybertron's mentor. Tao also had a daughter named Mia, and Doug Sloan played the part of Tyler Steele. A pair of bumbling news reporters named Elmo (played by Jamie Kennedy) and Scuzzy, who would've served as the series' comic relief, were also featured. These two characters and Percy Riktor were merged into Percival Rooney III.
- Cyrus Riktor/Grimlord (later changed to Karl Ziktor/Grimlord)
- Cybertron is, coincidentally, the name of the Transformers' home planet. The producers most likely realized this before having to change the name to VR Troopers.
- VR Troopers toys were produced by Kenner (toy brand for Transformers toys) rather than Bandai, which would explain the namesake itself.
- Day of the Dumpster (pilot), the pilot of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
- Kamen Rider Dragon Knight pilot